ssh in bash script

hi guys!
ssh already keyed for passwordless.
from shell prompt I can:

# ssh host2

the shell in host 2 is spawned and am now at host2's prompt.

# run command
I want the exit code from what I just ran

# exit
back at prompt in host1.

that's it! cake huh?

ok in a script:

it stops at the prompt as soon as it spawns the shell in host 2

how to make it continue on in the script?

also, since it's virgin territory for me.

can I indeed just capture the exit code for a return value that I can
pass on to the calling script, or if I decide, just to write the code
inside the main script?

thx,

John Rose
--
...and I woke up 2 days later, in the back yard, talkin to Elvis!