Anoying Peter Whalley Spam messages.

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Apr 5 16:25:13 UTC 2005

David Hoffman wrote:
> I have a small sign next to my doorbell on the front of my house that
> says "No Solicitors". Quite often I see people walking down the
> street, going door to door. They get to my house, walk up to the front
> door, and (MOST of the time) they turn around and walk away. When I
> invite friends to come over to my house, they walk up to my door, and
> ring the doorbell. How does this work? It is simple
> challenge/response. (My friends don't come over to the house, see the
> sign and then leave)

No, it is not chanllenge/response.  You do not present challange.  And
you do not require response.  If you remove the sign, and install device
on your doorbell that will when solicitors and friends press the
doorbell (or before pressing it) sound "if you are not solicitor say
kazuba", and then they respond with "kazuba" in order to be allowed to
proceed, than it would be C/R system.  You present challenge (trivial
challenge, but still challenge), and await for response.

The system you have in place is based on assumption that most people are
polite.  Computer equivalent would be placing "no spam" in your mail
server's greeting.  It wouldn't be very effective, since there is no
such thing as polite spammers.  Solicitors that walk away from your door
when seeing the sign have shown an act of politeness no matter what you
think about solicitors in general.