Fedora core 3 install

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 5 19:24:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 14:37:51 -0500 (CDT)
Don Dupy <fedora at maxxrad.net> wrote:

> I have my laptop set not to start eth0 at bootup.
> The network stuff will hang for a long time if it isn't connected to a
> network and cannot get DHCP. Once it is booted up, I open a terminal and
>
> type "ifup eth0" and that starts the ethernet card.
>
> If you have KDE or Gnome installed, go into the network configuration,
> and  you can change the boot up parameters there.

If you use your laptop both on and off a network a lot (like I do), you
might want to just assign a simple script that activates the network to a
launcher in your KDE/Gnome/XFCE bar.  Here's the script I use (requires
that users be able to activate/deactivate eth0):

http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/netswitch.html

I have eth0 set to not start at bootup as well.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!