spambayes help

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Apr 5 22:31:19 UTC 2005

I see spambayes mentioned here a lot, and I've heard good things
elsewhere. I decided to try it yesterday, and had a similar result on
two different machines. I have tried to post for help on their list but
there's almost no traffic there, so I wonder if anyone has a short
answer for my issue.
I installed the pop3 method, and changed my server to localhost in
Thunderbird for pop3. I followed the various instructions to install the
python scripts, and all went well. When the configuration page came up I
took all the defaults except for putting in my pop3 info - I left the
port at 110 since I was only checking one server. Immediately, things
started working perfectly, and my spam was getting labeled properly. I
set up the filter in Thunderbird to move the spambayes marked spam to a
separate folder.
All was well.
Then, I closed the configuration page. Now, the pop3 proxy has shut
down, and when I try to reopen the configuration page
http://localhost:8880 I get an error 'can't connect' message. I've read
through dozens of messages in the spambayes list archive, but none of
them really deal with this specific issue. Does someone know of other
resources for help, or do you know the short answer to what I did wrong?
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA