Fedoraforum.org is now official?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Apr 5 23:16:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 23:07 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2005 8:15 PM, Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com> wrote:
> > When you find one who is more successful at handling very-high-volume
> > traffic and contributing meaningfully to it with fora rather than
> > mailing lists, let me know... I'd like to meet that person, for I've
> > never found someone like that.
> >
> You sound like you need gmail. Should I send you an invite?

Good Lord, no. Thanks for your good intentions, but I can see nothing
that Gmail would offer me that my Linux-based notebook (and my 60GB
email account) don't already give me, and indeed it would offer me a
whole lot less.

But you *have* missed the point. I'm on the run right now and don't have
time to explain, but in brief: I think fora...

- are slower to use
- are slower to browse
- are slower to respond
- don't let me work offline (as I am doing now, for instance)
- don't let me filter/search/manage massive amounts of traffic
- don't let me store my own archives and copies
- waste massive amounts of bandwidth
- require a mouse...
- ...and a lot of patience for EACH page to load after EACH click
- and much, much more

As someone who answers more questions than I ask, and as someone who
reads a large part of the 400 messages I get per day, and as someone who
has been doing this (Usenet, mailing lists, fora) for almost as long as
they've all been around, I can categorically tell you that a forum is
much less functional for experts.

And we're going to be less valuable as a community if we have fewer
people answering fewer questions, aren't we?

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>