Fedoraforum.org is now official?

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 02:02:14 UTC 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 1:49 PM, William Hooper <whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Scot L. Harris said:
> > On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 12:34, James Wilkinson wrote:
> >
> >> I've been wondering for most of the day how to put this, but I'm
> >> disappointed in the Fedora leadership.
> >>
> >> Not so much for the decision (although I maintain it was a bad one), as
> >>  for the way in which it was made.
> >
> > Not much control by the community yet.  :)
> >

> Don't fall into the trap of thinking community = democracy.  If in doubt,
> re-read the leadership page.
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/about/leadership.html

You are right. Myself, I've been reluctant to join this thread,
because I too didn't know how to express my disappointment, and I do
agree with every word from above. However, after seeing the web page
you pointed out, I began to understand a little more:
* Philosophy ... voting:
" The Fedora leadership structure is not a voting structure. Our
structure follows historical Linux and Red Hat practice; we seek rough
consensus and working code, with a benevolent oligarchy (like a
benevolent dictatorship, but hierarchical) to resolve disputes and
ensure that consistent decisions are made. The leaders who need to
achieve consensus will be chosen by merit; functionally, this will be
a meritocracy.

The Technical Lead will be the main functional "benevolent dictator"
(in the Linux kernel sense), but may be overridden by the Steering
Committee, which itself reports to Red Hat's executive management."

That says it all doesn't it?

Also, it seems that the decision process not only doesn't have a
voting structure, but it doesn't even care about the needs or opinions
of the people influenced by their decisions. I say this because there
has been a *very big* discussion here in this mailing list about
alternatives before. Web fora was one option considered, and very much
rejected by pretty much 99.9% of the good people here. Many other
options were suggested. Just see:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&w=2&r=1&s=under+threat&q=b

and all the good opinions were just **completely** ignored by the
"leaders" (read, dictators) of the fedora project.

In the end, it makes me wonder... why do we even care debating this?
We just got the news. Nothing we say will be heard anyways...

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680