Sound on Asus A7N8X not working

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 02:19:10 UTC 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 9:07 PM, Allen Wayne Best <linux at atoka-software.com> wrote:
> hi:
> I am attempting to get the sound working on my system, of the following:
[snip]

> i install alsa as best i could (no pun intended) from the alsa page
> (http://www.alsa-project.org/)
>
> inspite of my efforts, I still have no sound. there does not seem to be any
> combination of things I do which gets sound to work. Any suggestions are
> appreciated.

Why did you install alsa from the alsa-project?  FC3 uses alsa.  Did
you install a newer version or something?  I suggest going back to the
RPM package that comes with FC3.  And make sure your system is
updated.

> here is the info from /proc/asound
> /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer
> VOLUME "Master" 0
> BASS "" 0
> TREBLE "" 0
> SYNTH "" 0
> PCM "PCM" 0
> SPEAKER "PC Speaker" 0
> LINE "Line" 0
> MIC "Mic" 0
> CD "CD" 0
> IMIX "" 0
> ALTPCM "" 0
> RECLEV "" 0
> IGAIN "Capture" 0
> OGAIN "" 0
> LINE1 "Aux" 0
> LINE2 "" 0
> LINE3 "" 0
> DIGITAL1 "IEC958" 0
> DIGITAL2 "" 0
> DIGITAL3 "" 0
> PHONEIN "Phone" 0
> PHONEOUT "Master Mono" 0
> VIDEO "Video" 0
> RADIO "" 0
> MONITOR "" 0

[snip]

Hmm.  Did you turn up the volume?  FC3 defaults to having the volume
turned down.  I would assume that values of 0 would be no sound, so I
suggest you try that first.  Use the mixer from your desktop, or you
should definitely be able to use the alsa mixer.  Did you test the
sound during the install?  If it worked then, I would expect this is
your problem.  Of course, if not, please let us know, but always best
to check the simple solution first :).

Jonathan