New to Linux

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Apr 6 14:57:29 UTC 2005

On 04/06/2005 07:18:17 AM, Sunny Sachanandani wrote:
> I am very new to Linux and am planning to install Fedora Core next
> week. The last time I tried to install Fedora Core 3 was on my x86
> machine but I was frustrated not being able to connect to the
> internet. I have a PPPOE connection and have been supplied a service
> name, username and password. I couldn't figure out how to supply the
> service name to Linux. I used RASPPPOE and Windows PPPOE driver in
> windows. The problem is I have a 64 bit machine now and 32 bit
> drivers
> or PPPOE don't work so please help me out by giving detailed
> instructions on how to set up a PPPOE connection with service name in
> Fedora. Also one more question: Should I try FC3 or FC4 test 1

Definitely FC3 - test releases are not for newbies, they are far more
likely to have issues that require knowledge of things linux to deal
with.

With respect to PPPoE - there are a couple of options.

After installing, go to the menu and select "System Tools --> Internet
Configuration Wizard"

You can then configure your PPPoE connection from that menu - I have
done it that way for SBC/Yahoo! DSL and it works perfectly. I can't
guarantee it will work for your provider, but it probably will.

-=-

The other option - get a broadband router that supports PPPoE - you
configure the router with your login information, and it connects to
the provider. You just plug your ethernet into the router, it gets an
IP address via dhcp - cake to set up. Other advantage of using a router
is you can use multiple computers at the same time without having to
have one computer dedicated to NAT.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/