DHCP and PPP

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 16:42:30 UTC 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 11:34 AM, Henry Hartley <henryhartley at westat.com> wrote:

> As of this week, I'm on a cheaper circuit without any spare IP
> addresses.  The former users all were getting broadband so it wasn't
> suppose to matter but my parents order for broadband is taking longer
> than expected.  I'd like to give them their ppp back until Verizon gets
> things set up but don't know how to set it up so that dhcp can assign a
> private IP address to the modem.  Can anyone here point me to
> documentation that will help me with this?
>
> I've configured a simple DHCP server before but it didn't involve ppp
> and I don't really know where to start.  Any help you can provide would
> be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like what you need to do is create your new IP Addresses on
a private (192.168.x.x) network, and then set your system to use NAT
to allow the traffic to pass. That way you don't have to depend on
other existing IP Addresses, and your machine can route the traffic
through using NAT. I know there is information at TLDP.org with
how-to's on setting up Masquerading (NAT) and PPP, but I don't recall
actual links right now.

Perhaps someone else will have better suggestions or links.

--

David
Registered Linux User 383030 (since everyone else was doing it 8-)