SW RAID 1 (install) problem on FC3

Brian Gaynor briang at pmccorp.com
Wed Apr 6 17:30:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 09:50 -0700, Mark wrote:
> I have a problem with an installation of a RAID software raid system (FC3)
> I have 2 200GB HDs with the following partitions in a kickstart file:

[snip]

> Installing this is very slow, starting with the formatting. Server load during install is between 3 and 7 (uptime).

I have seen poor drive performance when the RAID drives are on the same
IDE channel (i.e. hda and hdb) - moving the second drive to the other
IDE (i.e. hdc) can improve drive performance.

Another reason to do this is that a failed drive will often render any
drive on the same IDE channel unusable (until the dead drive is
removed), so by using separate IDEs the machine is much more likely to
be able to continue operating on the good drive after a disk failure.
You can also make swap a RAID1 partition, necessary if you want to be
able to keep running after a drive failure.

--
Brian Gaynor
FC3/Linux on DELL Inspiron 5160 3.0Ghz