FC3: ide tape problem with kernel 2.6.10

Craig Goodyear craig48 at swbell.net
Wed Apr 6 17:14:33 UTC 2005

Craig Goodyear wrote:
> I am using a Seagate STT8000A ATAPI tape drive for backup.
> Prior to the kernel update to 2.6.10, tar and dump both worked
> without any problems using this tape drive.
>
> Since the kernel update, tar and dump appear to write the files to the
> tape drive: no error messages are generated during the write.
> However, I am not able to restore any of the backup files to the hard disk.

I have found that I can get the tape drive to work if DMA is turned off.
      The tape is setup as hdd during the boot process.  However, there
is no entry created in /dev for hdd.  The only way that I know to
disable DMA is for all IDE drives, using ide=nodma.  Since /dev/hdd is
missing, I cannot figure out a way to use hdparm.

Is there a way to turn off the DMA for only the tape drive?

Craig