Re: I'm sure this is a silly question

Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
On Wednesday 06 April 2005 16:55, Birt, Jeffrey wrote:

I'm sure this is a silly question, but.....
I have an application that is started by a script in .kde/Autostart.
When this app is started a console window appears, if the console window
is closed the app stops.  I know, duh! (of course the same thing happens
when you launch it manually from a console window) (BTW, it's a helper
app for MetaVNC that handles clipboard functions)

Put an ampersand after your command to run it in the background. For example, you can type this in console:

gedit &

Now if you close the console, gedit will still be running.

Better yet:

gedit >/dev/null 2>&1 &

(redirect both stdout and stderr to /dev/null and run program in
background).
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens vitalstream com -
-                 IGNORE that man behind the keyboard!               -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -