Permanently changing startup order?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Apr 7 00:25:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 19:31 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Robin Green wrote:
>
> >Fedora-list,
> >
> >I just rebooted my server and openldap failed to start, which broke email;
> >this is because my openldap installation depends on a postgresql database
> >and postgresql starts later in the bootup sequence.
> >
> >I realise that there isn't always "one right solution" for everyone when it
> >comes to bootup order. I am storing my ldap database in postgresql; other
> >people might use ldap to authenticate to postgresql, so they would require the
> >current startup order.
> >
> >So, I fixed it for now (at least, in runlevel 3 - runlevel 5 is never used on this
> >server) by:
> >
> >cd /etc/rc3.d
> >mv S64postgresql S38postgresql
> >
> >But might not this get broken the next time I upgrade postgresql? And if so, is there
> >anything I can do about it - short of maintaining my own custom postgresql rpm
> >and prioritising my own yum repository highest in yum.repos.d?
> >

> I would suggest you just make you of the way init works and chkconfig
> work. Try
>
> #chkconfig --del openldap
>
> then edit the your openldap startup script, which i'd presume to be
> /etc/init.d/openldap. Change the line which reads "chkconfig: 2345 08
> 92" to something more appropirate for you. From what I remember, "2345"
> represent the runlevels on which it gets started. "08" represents the
> start number. and "92" represents the stop number. Then
>
> #chkconfig --add openldap
>
> I would suggest you backup the init script first. And if things work
> out, then just save a copy of the edited init script and restore it when
> ever openldap gets updated.
>
> Just a suggestion.
-----
unfortunately that suggestion merely creates the problem that he was
hoping to avoid. The next update of openldap-server then won't replace
this edited file (/etc/rc.d/init.d/ldap) but rather put a new file in
called /etc/rc.d/init.d/ldap.rpmsave so this leaves him back at square
one.

I would suppose that you could add to the bottom
of /etc/rc.d/rc.local...

/sbin/service ldap restart &

but of course, then the next update of 'initscripts' won't replace that
file. It's a rather evil problem - there doesn't seem to be a simple
solution - at least simpler than what you have done with the 'mv'
command.

Of course, I would ask why bother using postgresql as backend for
openldap? Then again, that wasn't the question that you asked.

Craig