Accessing mount points for all group users...

Robert Werch rawerch at rawflyer.com
Thu Apr 7 21:04:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 13:17 -0700, Robert Werch wrote:

>> Here's the deal:
>>
>> I'm running winblows xp and fc3 (sel targeted / permissive) on the same
>> laptop.  I've formatted two of my xp partitions as vfat filesystems
>> (Documents, Music).  I'd like a user group in FC3 to be able to read,
>> write, and execute on these partitions.  The user group that I would
>> like to have access is called 'xp_access' and contains 2 users.  I
>> created two mount points /windows/Documents and /windows/Music.  Then I
>> modified /etc/fstab to automatically mount the partitions there,
>> respectivly.  My problem is this...  if I create the mount point as
>> root, it is owned by root, and therefore only accessable by root.  I try
>> to change the assigned group to xp_access (with or without root being a
>> member of the group), and I get an error message saying 'Operation Not
>> Permitted'  (I've tried it as root, sudo user, su user, graphically from
>> gnome and kde, and from a terminal in gnome and in kde....  to no
>> avail.)  If I create the mount points as a user, they are owned by the
>> user...  I have full access to the partitions as that user, but not as
>> the other user.  I try to change group permissions and assignments of
>> the mount points (as root or as the user that created the mount points)
>> and I get the same error message...  How can I not have permission to do
>> so???  I thought root could do anytihing..  and I thought the owner of
>> something could do anything with it....  I'm assuming user error (my
>> error) and a simple fix...  Otherwise, I'm frustrated!!!
>>
>> In fstab I've tried different things in colume 4 (defaults, uid=500,
>> gid=503 (xp_access),w)...  all to varying degrees of success.  Like I
>> said, as root I can read, write, and execute in these partitions, but
>> the whole idea of linux is to not operate as root.  I can get one user
>> to have full access automatically, but not other users when they log
>> in...  Here is what my fstab file looks like right now:
>>
>> # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
>> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
>> LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
>> none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
>> none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
>> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
>> none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
>> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
>> /dev/sda6 /windows/Documents vfat uid=500 0 0

Change this to something like
/dev/sda6 /windows/Documents vfat users,uid=500,gid=500, 0 0

Then make sure both users are members of the same group (gid=500), and
make sure the mount point has rwx permissions for the group.

Either user then should be able to mount/unmount the filesystem and make
any changes wanted..

>> /dev/sda7 /windows/Music vfat uid=500 0 0
>> /dev/hdb /media/cdrecorder auto
>> pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed
>> 0 0
>> /dev/hda /media/cdrecorder1 auto
>> pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed
>> 0 0
>>

>> User 500 can do with the files what they want, and so can root...  But,
>> user 501 can't...  I've tried many things, and can't figure out what I'm
>> doing wrong....  suggesstions???
>>
>> thanks for the help.  newbie.

Okay, changed /etc/fstab to look like this:

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda6      /windows/Documents     vfat     users,gid=503     0 0
/dev/sda7     /windows/Music     vfat     users,gid=503     0 0
/dev/hdb /media/cdrecorder auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed
0 0
/dev/hda /media/cdrecorder1 auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed
0 0

Tried lines that looked like this:

/dev/sda6   /windows/Documents   vfat   users,gid=503,uid=500,uid=501   0 0

/dev/sda6 /windows/Documents    vfat
users,gid=503,uid=500,uid=501,rw    0 0

/dev/sda6 /windows/Documents    vfat      users,uid=500   0 0

/dev/sda6 /windows/Documents   vfat      users   0 0

Some of the lines allow the last user listed (uid=501, or uid=500) to
have read, write, and execute privleges, but not both users...  both
users are members of gid=503...

Still at a loss...  I know I'm close, just haven't got the correct lines
in the etc/fstab yet....  help....

thanks again.