network stalls on Fedora Core 3

Shawn Iverson shawn at nccsc.k12.in.us
Thu Apr 7 23:02:01 UTC 2005

On Wednesday, April 06, 2005 6:25 PM Keith Fetterman wrote:

>Folks,
>
>I am encountering a random problem where network (100BaseT ethernet)
>connections stall when downloading files.  I first noticed a problem
>when updating my system using up2date.  I discovered the
>update process
>would hang.
>
>I am now seeing the network stalling when I am downloading a
>large file,
>roughly 41MB, using scp.  The point at which it stalls is
>random and it
>doesn't always stall (but it usually does.) When it stalls, it usually
>stalls after 20-30MB have been transferred.

Are you going through a SOHO router?  If you are, temporarily bypass
your router and connect directly to your service provider (after turning
on the firewall, of course) and then check for stalling.  This will tell
you if your router is the source of the problem.  I have similar
symptoms on the BEFSR11.  The only workaround I have found is to connect
directly to the router with a patch cable and force the speed to 10Mbit
with mii-tool, thereby forcing the Linksys also to 10Mbit.

--

Shawn