irqpoll effect on performance

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Fri Apr 8 00:42:48 UTC 2005

I'm wondering if this kernel param makes performance slower, and if yes
roughly by how much?

I had to use irqpoll to get my wireless card to work.

Btw., do i understand correctly that this kernel param does not mean
that the CPU polls devices asking if they have anything to do, but
rather means that some polling is done before an interrupt channel is
selected, or perhaps some polling is done to detect if an interrupt
channel is used to send an interrupt, and if it is, then the interrupt
is sent after a certain delay? I used to get IRQ 5 conflict, but now i
have sound and wireless on IRQ 5. While on windows they might be handled
by the same driver, there are 2 different drivers involved in my setup,
the wireless one being based on the windows driver.

Thanks all!