Attn : Dave Jones Re: I just want one more option in the FC Kernels (Dave Jones)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 16:12:23 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 02:26, Paul Howarth wrote:

> > Interesting...  I always install from the k12ltsp distribution instead
> > of a straight fedora because it is usually rebuilt with current updates.
> > And I think that's a one man show.  I always assumed the iso build was
> > scripted.
>
> I think the build itself is scriptable, it's the testing that isn't.

Testing?  We are talking about fedora, aren't we?  There is a reason
for the massive number of updates after the releases.  Don't take
this as a complaint.  It's only realistic to expect the massive
real-world exposure of a release to shake out problems that wouldn't
be found any other way regardless.  I just miss the early (<9) RH days
when everyone knew not to install releases before X.2 on critical
machines and a new iso would be cut at that point.  While it is
unrealistic and probably not even desirable to expect fedora to
be tested enough to eliminate the need for updates, it doesn't seem
so unreasonable to ask someone who follows the bug reports and
update process closely to make a call as to when the worst issues
have been fixed (like the X.2 version always was...) and roll a
new iso so people installing after that point don't have to deal
with the problems.  This makes sense especially for cases where
kernel and installer updates have been made to fix issues with
certain hardware.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com