Permissions Problems Between Samba and NFS

Shane Archer shane-fedora at rctech.net
Fri Apr 8 17:30:00 UTC 2005

I am running FC3 on a production server that needs to be accessible from
both PC and Mac OS X clients. I originally tried using Samba for both, but
the Macs always had intermittent problems with the Samba shares, so I
switched to exporting the same shares via NFS and then using Samba for the
PCs. However, once I did this, I ran into a situation where the Macs can
not write to any directories or files that have been created by Samba.

For example, if I make a folder on the server with Mac A, then both Mac B
and a PC can write to it just fine.

However, if I make a folder on the server with the PC, neither Mac is able
to write to the folder.

Here is what I have for /etc/samba/smb.conf right now:

[global]
    workgroup = workgroup
    server string = Name
    hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = no
;   printing = cups
cups options = raw
;  guest account = pcguest
  log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50
    security = user
    local master = yes
    dns proxy = no

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
    idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
    idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
    template shell = /bin/false
    winbind use default domain = no

[Share]
  path = /raid/share
  guest ok = yes
  public = yes
  writable = yes

If anybody could offer any suggestions, that would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Shane