Attn : Dave Jones Re: I just want one more option in the FC Kernels (Dave Jones)

Pete pg56cgy at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 8 20:43:42 UTC 2005

I don't know what you're missing, but I can tell you
that Fedora has come a long, long way from the Red Hat
days (I have been on board since Red Hat 5.0). I use
Fedora exclusively and barely ever resort to Windows
at all (except once in a while for downloading mp3s
from a p2p site, because I don't want to risk
contaminating my Linux system). I used to have to
configure nearly every bit of hardware manually,
adding tweaks and customizations to the .confs of
nearly every device I own (the Sound Blaster was a big
problem). Now, I install Fedora and nearly everything
is auto-detected and correctly configured from the
first boot. There are a number of minor things I do,
like change to British English, in order to get the
spell checks to work correctly, add my collection of
True Type fonts, make links and install the bookmark
files, etc, but this is all just user comfort stuff
and not system configuration per se. Linux (Fedora
with KDE) has surpassed Windows or any other operating
system for ease of use, convenience, availability of
settings for personalization in every aspect of the
user interface, etc etc. It is so good that sometimes
it's all I can do to keep myself from looking at the
screen and revelling in the way I have made it my own.