How should I react to break in attempts

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 21:09:24 UTC 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 10:25 AM, Arthur Pemberton <dalive at flashmail.com> wrote:
> I'm gettign mail from logwatch as to the following:
>
> root (en201247.uac63.hknet.com): 3 Time(s)
>
> What's my best plan of action to respond to such? Yes I root logins via
> sshd disabled.
>
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> --

I like running sshd on a non-standard port. That stopped all bogus
attempts for me. It's easy to do this with the port setting in
sshd.conf.

The disadvantage is that many corporate firewalls restrict outgoing
traffic on funny ports, so if you're trying to connect from inside
such a firewall, you won't be able to use just any port.