Re: Fedora core 3 install

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 14:37:51 -0500 (CDT)
Don Dupy <fedora maxxrad net> wrote:

I have my laptop set not to start eth0 at bootup.
The network stuff will hang for a long time if it isn't connected to a
network and cannot get DHCP. Once it is booted up, I open a terminal and

type "ifup eth0" and that starts the ethernet card.

If you have KDE or Gnome installed, go into the network configuration,
and  you can change the boot up parameters there.

If you use your laptop both on and off a network a lot (like I do), you might want to just assign a simple script that activates the network to a launcher in your KDE/Gnome/XFCE bar. Here's the script I use (requires that users be able to activate/deactivate eth0):

http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/netswitch.html

I have eth0 set to not start at bootup as well.

doesn't work under FC1, had to restart network services -- Don Dupy

FC1 - Kernel 2.4.22 - Dell Poweredge 600SC
http://www.maxxrad.net
email: fedora maxxrad net