Video Card .

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Apr 8 22:30:41 UTC 2005

dseals at bpu.com wrote:
> I am new to the Linux world - old MS Admin trying to discover another world.
>
> I have an IBM NetVista with an Intel 845 video card - when I install
> Core 3, the system goes "haywire" after all CD's are in and it reboots -
> no video.
>
> I corrected by redoing the xorg.conf file, but now can only get 640x480.
> Would appreciate any assistance on how to correct.
>
> Even at my age - I don't need icons that large....
>
> Thanks in advance

The intel i810 driver was busted when FC3 was set to discs. If you
update your system to the most current updates, the later versions
should work. If this does not allow you to get higher resolutions.

I have an Intel 815 on one machine and the newer xorg-x11 versions
helped get decent video.

It might be needed to run 'system-config-display --reconfig' in order to
  get your xorg.conf file setup to what the tool thinks are the best
settings for the card.

Also, there are man and info pages available for the i810 driver that
might give you some options that you can apply to get the GUI up to the
best settings for your usage. 640 x 480 is a bit limiting. :-)

Jim

--
Due to a shortage of devoted followers, the production of great leaders
has been discontinued.