been seeing in my daily emails I intend to.

Steve

This looks very very cool, I'll be tring it tonight.

On Apr 8, 2005 3:14 PM, Thomas Cameron <thomas cameron camerontech com> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arthur Pemberton" <dalive flashmail com>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list redhat com>
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 9:25 AM
Subject: How should I react to break in attempts

I'm gettign mail from logwatch as to the following:

root (en201247.uac63.hknet.com): 3 Time(s)

What's my best plan of action to respond to such? Yes I root logins via sshd disabled.

Thanks for the advice.

Since you have remote root access disabled, the only other thing you can do
is to just make sure that everyone uses strong passwords on the machine.
You can also limit users who can su to root following the instructions at
http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap5sec43.html.

That way even if they do break in as user joe, if joe is not a part of the
wheel group he can never brute force or dictionary attack the root account.

Thomas