Re: I moved /var and now syslog won't start

Tim Largy wrote:

Hi,

After moving /var to a new location I can't get the syslog to start.
Here's what I did (more or less):

1) Dropped into single user mode
2) cp -pr /var /yomama
3) umount /var
4) rmdir /var
5) mv /yomama /var
6) Edited /etc/fstab and commented-out the line stating that /var was
on /dev/hda3 because now /var is part of the / partition
7) Rebooted. Syslog hangs but the system eventually starts (i.e.
without syslog running)
8) service syslog start (and it fails to start)

Any ideas? How should I debug this without the benefit of syslog?

Tim

Check the selinux context of the new /var .. It should be system_u:object_r:var_log_t for /var/log , and system_u:object_r:var_t for most of the other directories in /var ... If the contexts are wrong , try restoring them using restorecon -R -v /var .

--
Pedro Macedo