starting a python script as a background process

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sat Apr 9 13:14:03 UTC 2005

I'm running Spambayes to filter spam. It's installed as a pop3 proxy and
is invoked by the following, run from root in a terminal window:

cd /usr/local/bin/
python scripts/sb_server.py

That results in the following:

SpamBayes POP3 Proxy Version 1.0.4 (March 2005)
and engine SpamBayes Engine Version 0.3 (January 2004).

User interface url is http://localhost:8880/

The script is activated and, until I close the terminal, remains so.
But, it means that I have an open terminal with root running during my
entire session.
Closing the terminal kills the python script and my email.
I tried putting the above commands in rc.local but that aborted my boot.
I got the the "Loading database... Listener on port 110 is proxying
pop.patriot.net:110
User interface url is http://localhost:8880/" message, and nothing more,
the screen just hung.
Can one of you tell me if there is another way to do this? Is there a
way to invoke this script as a 'background process' - I'm not even sure
if that's the correct terminology in the world of Linux?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA