Recovering LVM

Joe Dolence jadolence at verizon.net
Sun Apr 10 05:42:00 UTC 2005

Well, I don't know what happened to my system (Fedora Core 3). It's been
a few days since I've used it as I've been trying out Fdora Core 4 Test
1 on a another system. This evening, I tried to boot up the system with
Fedora Core 3 on it, this is a dual boot machine with Windows XP (The XP
part works).

When I'm booting up Fedora Core 3, it stops with a "Kernel Panic - not
syncing: Attempted to kill init!". I think the problem is with the LVM
though, as just before this Kernel Panic, I get this,

Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
 Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
 Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
 2 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active
VFS: can't find ext3 filesystem on dev dm-0
mount: error 22 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
switchroot: mount failed: 22
umount initrd/dev failed: 2

It appears that this LVM thinks there is a ext3 and none "volume", but
can't seem to load them.

I tried to boot with the Repair CD and see what I can do, There are 3
partitions on the drive, the first is for Windows XP, the second is the
/boot for the Fedora Core 3 installation and the 3rd is this LVM, I
presume it's the rest of the Fedora Core 3 installation. I can mount the
 /dev/hda2 partition and see the /boot directory, but I don't know how,
if possible, to mount the /dev/hda3 (LVM) partiton, to try and "fix" it.

Does anyone have any recommenatins on how to "repair" this situation? Or
at least where I can look to find the answer. I've looked around for a
few hours on the fedora list... searched google for info on LVM (I can't
even seem to locate a man page for LVM, as I've run LVM from the rescue
CD and could check out info on the LVM, but the help screen only shows
the last 25 or so available "commands")... I saw a few items that looked
 similar, but no references to dm-0 (what is that?) or how to fix this
particular situation.

Thanks,
Joe