where is grub.conf if not under /boot/grub/

Shawn javajunkie at koyuru.com
Sun Apr 10 13:09:19 UTC 2005

Hello,

I can't seem to find my grub.conf

Two drives hda, hdb3

systems on both

orignally FC2 on hdb3 but file system trouble

installed FC3 on hda (first sector using advanced options not the MBR)

upgraded FC2 using the MBR option

found my system wouldn't boot because the system on hdb3 was still
corrupt [there actually is an explanation why this isn't as completely
daft as it seems.  Actually did a apt-get dist-upgrade on the hdb3 FC2
system and the next boot got a kernel panic and file system troubles.
Did a FC2 install on a new hda drive which worked fine until I did apt-
get dist-upgrade on it and got file system troubles.  So I was just
curious if it was the FC2 that was the problem but even after the
upgrade it kernel panicks]

used recovery disk to edit hdb3 /boot/grub/grub.conf to boot using hda
unfortunately making a mistake of  vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770.FC3 and not
vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 so I needed to manually change it for everyboot
(until I made a boot disk)

well there is nothing now under hdb3 /boot/grub/grub.conf and
hda /boot/grub/grub.conf is correct without the error I just mentioned.

So I am wondering where it might be.  searching for grub.conf doesn't
turn it up.  Is it in the MBR, and if so, it it editable?

Shawn