LVM partitions on ax external USB HD

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Sun Apr 10 13:38:50 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette wrote / ha scritto on /il 10/04/2005 14:46:

> From an earlier posting someone suggested to run the following
> commands to activate and later deactivate LVM volumes in rescue mode.
> I used these commands on an external USB drive to get at data from a
> data in this way.
> Jim
>
> Excerpt from earlier help.
> Once booted into text-mode rescue, invoke the following commands:
>
> lvm lvscan
> lvm vgchange -ay
>
> This will scan for all LVM volumes and then will make them active and
> accessible.
>
> lvm vgchange -an
>
> will deactivate them all.

Tnx Jim

But if I am a standard user with my machine running (with LVM on it),
and I connect an external LVM hard disk,how do I activate that
volumes??? not in rescue mode I mean.
I suppose that if  I play with lvm vgchange -an I will break everything
also on the running system. Is it true??

--
 Antonio
Mail by Thunderbird 1.0.2 - Websurfing by Firefox 1.0.2