where is grub.conf if not under /boot/grub/

Pete pg56cgy at yahoo.ca
Sun Apr 10 21:13:54 UTC 2005

If you have 2 linux systems, grub.conf will be in the
one from which you installed grub. The other will not
likely have a grub.conf. No, grub.conf is not in the
mbr or boot sector, it is in /boot/grub. It is
editable and the changes are immediate without you
needing to rerun grub-install /dev/hda (or whatever
your case is). If it is lost on both systems, you
might have to regenerate it somehow. Sorry, aside from
copying and editing one from the web, I don't know how
to do that. That's why I say it's best to have a tiny
(really tiny, like 500mb is huge) partition on your
hda drive as /boot. It get around these type of
ambiguities. That way, no matter how many partitions
have linux systems, there is only one /boot partition
with your kernel and you can run grub-install from anywhere.