Correctly use installer's Disk Druid utility for partitioning properly with Windows installed

Pete pg56cgy at yahoo.ca
Sun Apr 10 21:36:05 UTC 2005

Regarding your Windows partition that is 60GB and you
need to chop off some for linux, I believe that the
program 'fips' is still on the Linux installation cd.
It should be under one of the top directories. I have
used it before and it works great. It didn't harm my
windows. Keep about 8-10Gb for windows, the rest for
ext3, divided into sensible partitions. Use fips for
this one task only, then read on...

In the future, use your windows xp disk to partition
the windows partitions (the programs are right on the
cd); use parted (excellent) or fdisk, the linux one,
not the old windows 98 one, for all ext3 partitions.
Sticking to this, you will minimize your problems with
partitioning down the road.

Make sure you read the docs for these programs before
you use them. Make notes for the relevant commands,
because when you're installing, you won't have access
to the internet or help files, unless you have 2 computers.