Which GLIB

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Apr 11 06:14:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 23:19 +0200, Jeffrey Mutonho wrote:
> Apologies for the last post.
> I'm a bit confused as what I really should install.Yesterday I posted
> a question about my installation of PyGTK 2.6.1 on FC3 and that I'm
> getting the following error message:
>
> checking for GLIB - version >= 2.6.0... no
> *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
> *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
> *** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.
> configure: error: maybe you want the pygtk-2-4 branch?
>
> and the response I got said that I "..need glib2-dev , but FC3 comes
> with glibc2-2.4.7 and PyGTK 2.6.1 wants >= 2.6.0 as it clearly states.
> The development / rawhide tree has
> glib2-2.6.3, but I am not sure whether you want to install that."
>
> I'm confused as to what I should install now.Is it glib2-2.6.x  or
> glibc2-2.6.x ?
> And whatever I have to install , eg glib2-2.6.x  , do I have to
> uninstall it first or can I just do an install over the existing one?

glib2 and glibc2 are very different things. You would be wanting
glib2-2.6.x. You can try the glib2-2.6.x packages from rawhide but they
might fail dependency checks if you try an "rpm --upgrade" using them
(i.e. they could break something you already have installed, which
requires glib2-2.4.x). So you might be better off building glib2-2.6.x
from source and installing it in /usr/local/...

You'll probably need to do the same for gtk2-2.6.x.

P.S. I ask you again, like Stuart did, not to top-post on this mailing
list.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>