proxy problems?

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Mon Apr 11 07:34:27 UTC 2005

Fabiano Petrone mi ha scritto / wrote to me il / on 11/04/2005 9.33:

>hello to Everybody!
>I've configured a FC3 (192.168.0.50 on a local LAN) to exit to internet
>through a proxy machine (192.168.0.20)
>I've properly configured:
>
>1)Firefox network options
>2) the freshclam (clamav) and nessus conf files
>3) redhat network configuration
>4) preferences -> network proxy
>
>now Firefox, Freshclam and the Nessus-New-Plugins-Retrieval goes really OK,
>but:
>
>1) I can't still ping external sites (I.E. www.google.it) but only internal
>LAN machines (I.E. 192.168.0.20)
>2) I can't run up2date: at the console I obtain the following error:
>
>File "/usr/lib/python2.3/urllib2.py", line 886, in do_open
>raise URLError(err)
>urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
>

>I've found something similar to this error at:
>
>http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla...g.cgi?id=127621
>
>maybe (surely...) some my configuration error?
>

>thanks in advance for your help,
>
>Fabianope

Just a shot in the dark....do you have a routing device?? (i.e. a hard
router or a firewall acting as router??)
If not, I suppose that you are not allowed to go out your internal network.

--
Antonio Montagnani

Mob.+393386586046

Mail by Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 Websurfing by Mozilla Firefox 1.0.2
http://start.mozilla.org/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:it-IT:official
Posta con Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 Navigazione con Mozilla Firefox 1.0.2
http://start.mozilla.org/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:it-IT:official