SSL Squid

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Apr 11 08:57:45 UTC 2005

Mark Panen wrote:
> How does SSL and Squid work ? I believe Squid bypasses a SSL request
> and sends it direct so there is no need to include your proxy in your
> SSL settings of you web browser. I am reffering to internet banking in
> particular here.

SSL proxying through squid works by setting up a transparent connection
between the client and server through the proxy. Nothing is cached, it
works in a similar fashion to a router, albeit at application level
rather than network level. Since the encryption is done end-to-end
between client and server, the proxy sees only the encrypted traffic,
which would not be very useful to an attacker if the proxy was compromised.

Paul.