Kontact/Kmail thread display question

I'm evaluating Kontact/Kmail and in many ways I like it, but, I'm having a problem getting threads to display. Is this feature broken? I've clicked on every setting in the View menu, and they don't seem to affect the display at all. I also found a setting in Settings\Kmail but that didn't change anything. There's nothing in the manual about this feature. Am I missing the obvious?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA