Grub is gone after upgrade to KDE 3.4

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 12:03:32 UTC 2005

On Apr 10, 2005 6:58 PM, Markus Huber <humarfedoralists at yahoo.de> wrote:
> kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com wrote:
>
> > I had an Idiot-moment. Sorry. My graphical login screen is gone. Now I onle
> > see the standard KDE login box

As you must know by now, it's not "gone" nut, when you installed KDE
3.4 it just changed the dafults for the KDE Login Manager. Before you
change it back, consider taking a look at the KDE Control Center to
see what it offers you. I particularly, prefer to use KDM, because of
soome options I can control from the KDE Control Center.

Now, you need to ask yourself which desktop you want to use as your
default. This will get you back to Gnome (but why go through all the
trouble to get the newest KDE then?):

> Edit as root /etc/sysconfig/desktop and change to:
> DESKTOP="GNOME"

This will change *only* the login:
> DISPLAYMANAGER="GDM"

You do not have to set them both. You can have the gnome ad login to
KDE or vice-versa.

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680