Filesystem problem

We have a redhat EL system where I work running under Vmware on a Windoze box.

We neded more space for the OS so the admin added 5Gig to vmware. Then we went
into RH as root and ran fdisk for the device where / was on (/dev/sda2) I
think this is odd that there was not a /dev/hd* device but maybe this is a
vmware deal.

Then we added an extended partition and took the defaults as the start & end
cylinders.

Upon reboot we never make it to a login prompt.

Any thoughts???