Installing VNC Without X

Robert Slade fedora at bathnetworks.com
Mon Apr 11 19:46:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 20:12, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2005 1:02 PM, Peter Hutnick <hutnick at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a FC3 system with VNC server installed, but without X.  Doesn't work.
>
> Oops.  Opening the port helps.  But for some reason every time I do
> "service iptables restart" it says "Unloading iptables moduels
> [FAILED]".

VNC is a program for exporting an X desktop hence the need to have X. If
you want to connect to a remote machine use SSH eh ssh user at remotehost.
It will ask you about keys then the User at remote hosts passwork and then
you should be at the prompt.

I don't know about iptables but it looks like you have a script error.

> > I don't mind installing X, but it seems . . . difficult to do it after
> > the fact.  The dependencies on the RPMs don't seem helpful.  Noteably:
> >
> >    # rpm -ivh xinitrc-4.0.14-1.noarch.rpm
> >    error: Failed dependencies:
> >            /usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg is needed by xinitrc-4.0.14-1.noarch
> >            /usr/X11R6/bin/xsetroot is needed by xinitrc-4.0.14-1.noarch
> >            which is needed by xinitrc-4.0.14-1.noarch
> >
> > I don't seem to have a package called "" :-)

Don't see a package called "" only the some of the X packages that are
needed by xinitrc. RPMs don't necessarly have all the packages with them
to give flexibility. As someone else posted yum or up2date are the
easiest to use as they will also download and install dependencies.

Have a look at man yum for all the options but yum install xinitrc
should get you going.

Rob