Installing VNC Without X

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 11 20:31:11 UTC 2005

Peter Hutnick wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2005 1:02 PM, Peter Hutnick <hutnick at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have a FC3 system with VNC server installed, but without X.  Doesn't work.
>

> Oops.  Opening the port helps.  But for some reason every time I do
> "service iptables restart" it says "Unloading iptables moduels
> [FAILED]".
>

>>I don't mind installing X, but it seems . . . difficult to do it after
>>the fact.  The dependencies on the RPMs don't seem helpful.  Noteably:
>>
>>   # rpm -ivh xinitrc-4.0.14-1.noarch.rpm
>>   error: Failed dependencies:
>>           /usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg is needed by xinitrc-4.0.14-1.noarch
>>           /usr/X11R6/bin/xsetroot is needed by xinitrc-4.0.14-1.noarch
>>           which is needed by xinitrc-4.0.14-1.noarch
>>
>>I don't seem to have a package called "" :-)
>

> I'd still like to know why this is.

Well, first off, the last line is looking for the "which" program
("/usr/bin/which").

Second, if you don't have X, why install VNC server?  VNC server's sole
purpose is to export an X desktop so that a VNC client can see it.  No
X, no reason to share a desktop (which doesn't exist without X anyway).

Just sticking my oar in here.  I'll go away now.
-     Never put off 'til tommorrow what you can forget altogether!   -