Retrieving a directory in memory.

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Apr 11 21:38:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 14:32 -0700, Richard E Miles wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:00:25 +0200 (CEST)
> BZ Benny <bennybbz at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was working on a project with a 300 MBytes directory.
> > And before I was making My backup. I lost all my directory with all my work. Using the window I renmeoved it and I removed I from the trash.
> >
> > Is there any solution to get back my directory????
> >

> I'm afraid your out of luck. Rm can be a very dangerous command if used
> carelessly. You should use rm -i files to be prompted before actually
> removing files.

But don't - whatever you do - set up an alias for "rm" to be "rm -i" in
your .bashrc or equivalent because that is a very dangerous thing to do.
You'll get used to having that safety net there and being able to
confirm every deletion. Then one day you'll be using a different system
that doesn't have the alias set up, and you'll do an "rm *" thinking it
will prompt you and realising your error all too late...

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>