LVM partitions on ax external USB HD

Rick Wagner wagnerric at condor.cxo.cpqcorp.net
Mon Apr 11 22:53:18 UTC 2005

On Sunday 10 April 2005 2:34 am, Antonio Montagnani wrote:
> I tried to install Fedora on an external USB HD.
> Of course booting from it didn't work.
> On the disk there are an ext3 partition /boot and a LVM partition
> If I connect the HD to a PC as USB device it is correctly mounted but I
> see only the ext3 partition.
> How can I see also the LVM???

Since no one else has answered, I'll take a stab.  I have used LVM on several
permanent hard drives, but never on removables.  However I think what your
looking to do is a udev script.  Check out the information on udev.  Also
look for hotplug.

What you'll want your script to do is upon detecting the plugging of your USB
drive, it will want to scan (vgscan/lvscan) the drive for LVM volumes, then
activate the volume (vgchange/lvchange --available=yes).

I'm not sure what you want to do for unplugging.  I expect that you'll need a
script to flush then deactivate the volumes prior to pulling the plug on the
drive.

As I said, I don't know much about hotplug and udev, but this may give you
some additional search hints.

	--rick