IDE disk problem

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Mon Apr 11 23:23:41 UTC 2005

Bob R. Taylor wrote:

>I purchased a 200G Maxtor drive for my Alpha which is not being
>recognized by Fedora Core 2 (Fedora 0.9 Alpha). This HD is not my boot
>disk. I have it installed as Master on the first IDE connector.
>Not being familiar with IDE disks, what jumber(s) should be set? Could
>the age of my mother board be a problem? What could the problem be? Any
>help greatly appreciated!

Inferring that your boot disk is also connected to the first IDE
connector, one might surmise that your boot disk is also jumpered as
Master.  Check the jumper settings on the back of each disk and make one
the master drive and one slave.  Most drives have diagrams stamped on
the drive casing (or sticker diagrams) showing how to set the jumpers.