ideal partitionning for a workstation user

Hello
  what 's the ideal partitionning for a workstation user  ?

I've got a small /boot partition with 20 Mo aand the remaining for /

the reason I'm asking this is that it seems that everytime I have lot
of read write on the hard disk,( yum update for example)  it "lags" or
stalls my pc

 is there a "magic partition" software for linux users ?

thanks

hicham.