munged modprobe.conf on kernel upgrade

Mark Eggers mdeggers at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 12 20:14:24 UTC 2005

I just booted the new kernel (kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3) this morning.
Everything ran cleanly except that I lost sound.

I fired up gnome-volume-control, and found out that my integrated sound
card had mysteriously reappeared.  Since I don't have speakers attached
to that sound card, I had no sound.

Interestingly, the integrated sound card is disabled in BIOS (Dell
8200).

I took a look at /etc/modprobe.conf, and there were some changes made by
the kernel rpm installation.

My alias for the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card had been changed
from:

alias snd-card-0 snd-cs46xx

to:

alias snd-card-0 snd-card-0

I also lost the following line:

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

I have /etc/modprobe.conf under RCS control, and it is checked out but
not locked.  This means the file is read-only and I only edit it after
doing a co -l on the file.

There was no reason for the kernel install to change my modprobe.conf
file.  I guess I need to file a bug report.

--
Mark Eggers <mdeggers at earthlink.net>