samba configuration

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 06:54:00 UTC 2005

On 4/12/05, roland brouwers <roland at cat.be> wrote:

> Hey friends,
>
> I have configured samba on few workstations and I want to map or mount
> certain directories which are on windows onto Linux workstations.
>
> Suppose there is a directory /backup/ankush under the machine
> sunserver means the path to this server will be
> //sunserver/backup/ankush and this directory is only accessible to
> user ankush and administrator only.
>
> I tried to mount this directory through
>
> mount -t smbfs -o username=ankush //sunserver/backup/ankush
> /backup/ankush
>
> the samba then asks for the password and after giving the correct
> password .It says access denied.
>
> They folder has the access for this user ankush and the password is
> also correct.I have to do such configuration on few workstations for
> particular users.
>
> Can anybody tell me how to mount this shared folder through smbfs and
> also that this folder is accessible for this user ankush not to any
> other user.
>
> If ankush has UID of 500 how to do it .
>
> Please guide me.
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Ankush Grover
> --------------------------->
> Maybe you should look at the following
> www.justlinux.com/nhf/Filesystems/Mounting_smbfs_Shares_Permanently.html

thanks for the reply but this does not solves my problem.My problem is

I want to mount some windows shares on Linux workstations in my
office.I am using FC3 and my shares are on Windows XP pro and Windows
2003 Server.

I tried this command to mount those shares

mount -t cifs -o username=windowsusename
//windows2003/sharename/anotherfolder /mnt/server

the samba then asks for the password of the windows  user,i gave the
correct password but then Linux returns with an error

mount error 6 = No such device or address
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

The /anotherfolder exists under windows2003/sharename.

I can access the windows2003/sharename by giving this command.

mount -t cifs -o username=windowsusename //windows2003/sharename /mnt/server

but i want to give access to the users only to some folders on which
they have rights not to other folders means only one or 2 subfolders
under /windows2003/sharename and not allowing access to all the
folders under sharename.

I also tried this on Windows XP using the command

mount -t smbfs -o username=windowsusename
//windowsxp/sharename/somefolder /mnt/xp

but this also gave an error

4858: tree connect failed: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (You specified an
invalid share name)
SMB connection failed

Whereas i can access the sharename by giving this command

mount -t smbfs -o username=windowsusename //windowsxp/sharename/ /mnt/xp

Please tell me whether this is possible or not.I want to give access
to some folders to the users not to all the folders .

Thanks & Regards

Ankush