Re: Numbers Ownership after tarring

Paul Howarth wrote:

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 17:10 +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:

Hi All,

why, when either using, tar --directory=dirpath -xzvf tarfilepath or tar -xzvf tarfilepath the owner ship is like below,

drwxr-xr-x 7 52400 24067 4.0K Mar 4 20:24 phpMyAdmin-2.6.1-pl3

The downloaded files are saved in the dir, downloads, by the general user, coolboarderguy. Cheers.

Those are the UID and GID of the original directory on the system that the tarball was created on.

If you extract the tarball as a regular user instead of as root, you'll
own the files and directories yourself.

Paul

Hi All,

ok, but, if I want root or another ownership of the extracted file(s), rather than the original owner, can I add that in the tar command, or I can only do that with the chown command after extracting ..? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.