yum update dependency today

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Apr 13 10:58:00 UTC 2005

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>> Jim Cornette wrote:
>>
>>> Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>>> 4.2.1-3.fc3 set to be updated

>>> What does 'rpm -q gstreamer-plugins' show? Do you have mutiple rpm
>>> versions showing?
>>>
>>> I had a multimedia program dep resolving problem with the test
>>> version. Another user had a problem on a 64 bit system. his was
>>> related to totem. Mine was resolved from yum shell :-)
>>>
>>> Anyway, I am curious if gstreamer left some corruption in the rpm
>>> database, had a scripting problem or another problem. If two versions
>>> of gstreamer are contained in the database, it could indicate that
>>> there is a problem with the package.
>>> I had this happen with another rpm and it left two entries in the
>>> rpmdb and caused conflicts when trying to upgrade programs.
>>>
>>> This may not be your problem, but is a remote possibility.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>
>> # rpm -q gstreamer-plugins
>> gstreamer-plugins-0.8.7-0.fdr.0.3
>>
>> I've grown so accustom to the ease of yum (nothing i know is easier) I
>> try not to do anyhign manual related to rpm as much as possible, so
>> the chances that I messed something up are possible, but slim.
>>
> The gcc problem seems to have been fixed, but i'm still getting the other:
> Error: Missing Dependency: liboil-0.2.so.0 is needed by package
> gstreamer-plugins
>
> Any ideas?

That package appears to have come from kde-redhat, who have versions 0.2
and 0.3 of liboil in their repo. You could try this and see if it helps:

# yum --enablerepo=kde-redhat update gstreamer-plugins

You're likely to get this sort of problem again if you selectively
update packages from external repos that you don't have enabled all the
time. However, the same sort of fix should resolve the issue.

Paul.