Firewall/VPN recommendations for small business?

kevin.j.lisciotti at jpmchase.com kevin.j.lisciotti at jpmchase.com
Wed Apr 13 15:04:21 UTC 2005

|         |           "Nick Phillips"    |
|         |           <nphillips at jesna.or|
|         |           g>                 |
|         |           Sent by:           |
|         |           fedora-list-bounces|
|         |           @redhat.com        |
|         |           04/13/2005 11:01 AM|
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           For users of Fedora|
|         |           Core releases      |
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       <fedora-list at redhat.com>                                                                     |
  |       cc:                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Firewall/VPN recommendations for small business?                                             |

Hi all,

I’m doing research for a new firewall purchase for a small non-profit –
roughly 50 users. We need roughly 10 VPN connections. We’re currently using
iptables on a Fedora box, but the new management would like something with
corporate support options, so the Linux firewall will become the internal
network firewall, and we’ll be implementing this new firewall as the
bastion. I’m looking into Cisco PIX firewalls, Checkpoint, Juniper
networks, and Sonicwall, but with the marketing mumbo-jumbo it’s hard to
work out what the benefits of each are. Does anyone have any real-world
experience with any of these firewalls, and if so, would you be willing to
share your stories? I’d much appreciate some experienced points of view.

Regards,

Nick Phillips
JESNA IT Coordinator