few scripting questions

hi!
1. when syncing mail from one machine to another, right now I shut down
sendmail copy the mail over then service sendmail start. Wondering if I
just couldn't shut down port 25? If so how to shut down and open ports
in a script?

2. Is there anyway to log out/logon users in a script?

3.ugg now that I'm here, I can't think of the other things. At least I
know how not to think!

thx
John Rose
--
...and I woke up 2 days later, in the back yard, talkin to Elvis!