Apache webserver outage - need help with forensics

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 20:28:38 UTC 2005

Bob,

Run a chkrootkit utility and it will tell you a lot of info. It won't tell
you everything but it may give you a higher level of confidence that it was
not hacked, or of course give you areas of concern if it does find
something.

I agree, it looks suspicious at first glance. Some things look bad but
aren't; for example it may come back and show a port open in the range of
32-thousand-something (32769?) - can't remember the exact one but further
googling revealed that Fedora leaves one in that area open. When I ran it
recently I was concerned about some things being open but I was happy to see
that other than a very few other standard well known ports open for good
reason, Fedora was pretty darn secure.

Chkrootkit will do a lot other than ports, however. Check out
http://freshmeat.net/projects/chkrootkit/

Hope that helps some

Marc