IDE disk problem

Joel rees at ddcom.co.jp
Thu Apr 14 07:47:30 UTC 2005

> Generally, in my experience, intermittent errors can sometimes occur on
> a CS cable with the drives jumpered as master/slave. I have never had a
> problem with the drives set to CS though.

I wonder if this might be due to selecting a drive as master but hanging
it in the middle. I'm thinking that floating input could cause the
controller to miss selects forced against the pattern, and suspicious
that manufacturers may not be testing the controllers, cables, and/or
drives with slave and master strapped, but master in the middle.

And, of course, if you only attach one drive in the middle and try to
force it to master by strapping it, at UDMA speeds, you _will_ get
reflection.

--
Joel Rees   <rees at ddcom.co.jp>
digitcom, inc.   株式会社デジコム